Friday 22 October 2010

Wontons or Dim Sum

I've been wanting to make Wontons for ages now. I have seen them being 'eaten' on the net and they LOOK really interesting. So I searched over recipes and I came across a recipe for Steamed Cabbage Rolls with chicken, by Jamie Oliver in his cookbook Jamie's Kitchen. It was the recipe that I seemed to have all the ingredients for, so I rolled up my sleeves and set about making them.
I have to admit, they weren't popular with everyone in my house, probably because I had not added enough saucey things to the filling to make it very tasty. Nevertheless, my sister and I had fun steaming them & a funnier time eating them! (I had to be authentic and use a pair of chop-sticks, which I was hilariously useless at!)
But I noted that next time I would definately need to increase the flavouring quantities.



Chicken & Cabbage filling for both Wonton & Cabbage Roll


 
Uncooked Wontons, filled with chicken mixture.


 
I made the Wonton wraps from scratch. Pretty easy to make, although wonton wrappers are easily available pre-made & frozen.
It asked for 2 cups of flour and 1/2 cup of Hot Water. I ended up with alot of leftover pastry..so, 1 cup flour would have been enough, for the 1/2 kg Chicken mince. I also used a pasta machine to roll the pasta sheets thin and even (An amazing invention if you ever get yourself into making things like I do!).
Cabbage wrapped round chicken filling.
Wonton held with my Chop-Sticks.
Wontons can actually be cooked in a number of ways. They can either be Steamed (as in the pictures), Boiled in a soup broth (a simple chicken stock with added vegetables, such as onions, spring onions, chinese cabbage and so on), Deep Fried, or Pan Fried (by cooking in a frying pan with a little oil on ONE side only till browned, then adding a splash of water, covering quickly with a lid and lowering the heat so that they steam through and complete the cooking). 
They taste great dipped in Sweet Chilli Sauce or Soy Sauce.

No comments:

Post a Comment